Winter moving in meant all porch progress came to a screeching halt. Terry had completed as much as he could before the weather brought all progress to a standstill. After completing the kitchen benches with paint and upholstery, we turned our attention to the “Man Cave”.
It has long been a disagreement between Mr. and myself as to what the garage is used for. Mr. felt it was the perfect place for all his lawn equipment, as well as all his power and hand tools. I needed a place for a second fridge and freezer. Having a love affair with Costco, I also needed storage for all the bulk items, like paper towels, toilet paper etc. When we realized that the foundation of the porch would leave us with 8′ under the porch our first thought was “man cave”. It would be a perfect opportunity to get all Mr’s stuff from the garage to a central location under the porch. So we again turned to Terry for his ideas on how to make this happen.
This is the man cave before any work was done. The picture is very blurry but it is the only one I have pre flooring.
Because one side of the foundation was lower than the other Terry decided that 2 levels were going to be needed. All of the concrete block and concrete pavers are just dry set, nothing was mortar set. I had found this great picture of a paver pattern and so Terry used that as a guide. Just a couple of dips here and there, but all in all it turned out very well for an unplanned space.
Our next task was to keep as much water out of the space as possible. Even though it was a space below a covered screened porch, we knew we would still have an issue with blowing rain. We also needed to be able to wash the porch flooring as needed, especially when pollen season was over. The solution again came from Terry. He had salvaged these gutter like panels that attach to the floor joists, and then funnel water to actual gutters and out into the yard. Problem solved !
Terry’s runoff solution below…
This photo below shows how we added lights to the area, as well as adding quite a few outlets for all the power tools. Making sure that light was available in all four corners was important so Mr. could work down there after dark if he needed to.
It was finally time for doors so we could lock the man cave up tight. Barn doors were the look we were going for. It had always been the plan to get the tractor out of the garage, so when drawing up the plans we made sure that the opening was large enough to allow for the width of Mr.’s tractor. In order for the space to allow for the passing in and out of the tractor we had to go with double doors to the space. I think the doors turned out really well. So well in fact we tore off the old access door to under the house and had Terry build a door to match. Two of our neighbors have also had Terry build them access doors that match ours. Needless to say, they are a hit.
As you can tell from the above photo, the weather was wet, cold and dreary. It was the perfect time to start looking for furnishings for the porch!
Sharing on Metamorphosis Monday
Happy 2017!! I thought with the new year I would tell…
Spring Has Sprung So the weather had finally taken a turn…