After the foundation framing, here, the next step of building the porch was framing the roof, and tearing out the wall with the triple window. As you can see from the pictures, the attic area although not substantial, was large enough to provide a great storage spot for Christmas decorations. Once the rafters went in, the remaining roof components being the sheathing and shingles, were quickly accomplished.
The roof sheathing went on next. This photo gives you a good view of the overhang from the roof. The overhang is one of a few things that I wish I had put more thought into and made a tad deeper. The overhang is just not deep enough to keep the rain from coming through the screens and getting the surrounding areas wet, even with the lightest of rains.
Next step were the shingles. We got very lucky and were able to find the same shingle as the house since the existing roof is 20 some years old. In this photo you can see the triple window that was to be removed to make room for a new back door, and a single window into the kitchen breakfast area.
At this stage the porch was starting to show it’s personality. I wanted a tongue and groove ceiling for the porch from the very beginning, and so that was what went in next. At least I had a tongue & groove above me if not below me 😉 Since the longest boards we could find were 16′ and not the 20′ we needed, Mr. and Terry came up with using the beams you see running horizontally to break up the ceiling. With these beams we would not have to worry about staggering the boards. It would be a continuous line within each block for a cleaner look.
In this photo you can see where the triple window was removed and a single window was installed. The back door was a special order since I wanted a dutch door instead of the more common french door. I had wanted a dutch door since I was a child and one of our neighbors had one. We would play post office and spend hours leaning over and out that door. It is a childhood memory that has stayed with me all my adulthood. I was like a child at Christmas, waiting for my door 🙂
If you look closely you can see a string hanging from the ceiling. It is in the back third section right up against the beam. This is the pull down for the attic stairs that we installed for access above the porch. This turned out to be one of the best ideas we had, and the extra storage space has been terrific. We were able to bring all of the Christmas decorations from the third floor down to the first floor attic. This has made retrieving holiday decor so much easier to handle.
We elected to put insulation in the ceiling and have it inspected. We did this so that in the future if we wanted to finish off the room as heated and cooled space we wouldn’t have to tear out the attic floorboards to add it.Once the inspection was done, and we got the all clear to go ahead, it was time to start on the railings.
Before this could begin we had an important decision to make. Our original plan, here, showed the back porch stairs being wood between the two brick wings. The more we thought about it the more we realized that for the look we wanted the stairs needed to be brick. Remember we wanted the porch to look as though it had been there all along. So brick it was. I will tell you this, having the brick stairs added another 1k to the cost of the porch but we feel it was worth every penny spent.
Back in the late forties or early fifties when this screen porch( below) was built, building codes were a lot different than they are today. You could get away with this bare minimum railing style as seen below. Of course this would never pass inspection today due to safety concerns. This minimal railing on this porch did allow for an almost clear line of sight from the porch to view the water. Today’s vertical railings can be no more than 4″ apart and the horizontal rail has to be at least 3′ high. This does hinder line of sight but safety comes first. Since one corner of our porch was over 8′ off the ground the railings were a very necessary safety issue. (That’s my precious daughter about 26 years ago)
We decided to go with a standard 2″ square picket with a 2″x4″ horizontal rail. Because I wanted to have the room to rest a drink on the surface we chose to have a 2″x6″ board attached to the initial horizontal rail.
The dutch door went in the day the railings were installed, and the Christmas wreath went on the door shortly afterwards……and then the weather turned on us……….
Do you have a different style of railing you like. I would love to hear what you would do.
Happy 2017!! I thought with the new year I would tell…
Hello And Welcome I didn’t really think it would ever be…